Friday, February 8, 2013

Books I've Read This Week

The Last Hero is yet another novel in which Sir Terry Prachett delivers. I've made no secret of my love for Prachett but this book is just great. Interestingly enough it is an illustrated novel so you get to see some fantastic drawings of Prachett's characters.

In this book Cohen the Barbarian who's reached old age and doesn't want to die on his throne decides to get his Silver Horde together and go out with a bang by assaulting the home of the gods of Discworld. The journey gives Prachett a chance to make fun of the tropes of the fantasy genre in a hilarious fashion. 
The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross was a slog. I almost didn't finish reading it and that is saying something as I love both of the authors. The book is structured in three parts. One part written by Doctorow, a second written by Stross and finally the third part being co-written by both authors. It is an interesting experiment but in my opinion it just didn't work. The novel was too disjointed. This is funny considering I've read and like the short stories that the novel was originally built up from.

No comments: